Monday, November 28, 2011

Giving Thanks

This year was the first Thanksgiving at the House of Larkin and I have to say, I was very nervous.  I have never cooked Thanksgiving dinner before.  I may have helped with some of the prep work here and there and I can make desserts.  But I've never been responsible for the whole meal before.  Being a perfectionist who worries too much about everything, it seemed a little overwhelming.  


As it turns out, it wasn't all that bad.  You can see from the picture above that this was clearly not a made from scratch meal.  Who tries to finish a marathon their first day in running shoes?  I had to be realistic in my expectations of myself.  I had time on Wednesday to do some of the prep work so that it was out of the way.  Then on Thursday everything just seemed to come together.  Taylor put our turkey in the smoker at about 4:30 Thursday morning and let it cook until about 3:30 in the afternoon.  It took a long time but it was quite tasty when it was finished.


Taylor enjoyed learning how exactly to carve his first turkey, and everyone enjoyed eating it.  Taylor's Grandmother was in town and got to meet Noah for the first time and spend some time with him.  I think it's safe to say she liked him just a little.  Overall it was a nice dinner that was not as stressful as I imagined it would be.  I can happily say that our first turkey day was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment